Thursday, January 13, 2011

4CP/four color process




I've been trying for a while now to create the old feel in my own comics. I love the dots Lichtenstein enlarged so prominently, I love the little errors of pre-computer printmaking techniques, I love the sloppyness that came with hand made massproduction. Marcus' previous post of the treasures to be found in the digital comic museum are great reference material, and now I found a blog dedicated to 4CP, four color process, the wonderfull technique they used to color the comics.

They even wrote those dots a loveletter:

Dots emit radiation. As you get closer to them, they begin to vibrate and pulse. Moving closer still, the color separations become dramatically separate: Solids become very solid and the black ink holds together, while the CMY dots fly apart. Foreground and background, positive and negative space, reverse unexpectedly. Orange, green, brown, and fake gray give up their secrets, and the basic building blocks of a universe reveal themselves. Unstable molecules, built of primary colored atoms, buzz at different frequencies. Vectors of visual force, experienced implicitly at original size, become intense. Behind everything is wood pulp paper, a still deeper layer of creation, with its own unstable properties.

Here are some of my attempts to get more or less the same effect. I think if this is printed, and than scanned again, it might be as close as I can get.






3 comments:

  1. That's so beautiful!! I like those magnified comic panels much more than Lichtenstein's works, they are certainly works of art in themselves and incredibly suggestive and interesting taken out of context. This is really inspiring me to adopt a similar aesthetic for future audiovisual projects.

    And your digital simulation of the process works incredibly well for your comic, well done! It adds another layer of awesomeness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful close-ups! It's like dissecting matter in a 2d space, finding colorful atoms organized to build the images... I like your digital simulation also, I'm sure it looks great in print, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! looks very authentic! Before having read the text, I thought it was an old one one, too:)
    Have you ever tried to work with those reprography grid foils? Might be interesting in addition to the digital process...? I use them sometimes for collages, to create a rather "vivid mood".... could be useful to vary the patterns maybe... just an idea :)

    ReplyDelete