Wednesday, June 23, 2010

David Pelham

Who is David Pelham? Well, for a start, he designed this iconic pocket book cover for Anthony Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange". I've always loved this book cover but it wasn't until today that I by accident learned the name of the illustrator. A quick google image search led me to more of his book cover work, and I must say I really, really like it.

I also just realized that the eye in the Clockwork Orange illustration is in fact a cog wheel, of course a reflection of the clockwork aspect, and if this cover preceded the Kubrick film adaptation, it might very well have been the direct inspiration for the film version's Alex having fake black eyelashes over one of his eyes.

Anyway, here's more of Pelham's work for you to enjoy:



1 comment:

  1. Interesting point you make there. It's a great thing how an illustrator can influence a cultural icon like 'Clockwork' if you are right. Great works!

    ReplyDelete