Thursday, August 5, 2010

Craft: Brandt Brauer Frick

I totally stumbled upon this amazing video of the German trio Brandt Brauer Frick. Paul Frick (the gentleman with the moustache and spectacles) is not only a house/electronica artist, but also a composer of contemporary classical music. He has, for instance, written an amazing piece for harp, percussion and slide projector, which can be heard (and seen) here. It is because of his composition work that I stumbled upon this Brandt Brauer Frick clip.

What really baffles me about this video is that this -- if I understand it correctly -- is totally indie, totally underground. And should be totally low budget. But the craft and technique displayed in this video -- apparently (co-)directed by one of the members of the music trio itself -- is so unbelievably well done that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's unbelievable. Is this the result of an enormously huge budget and a big top notch crew, or the result of the democratization of cheap HD-technology in the hands of a couple of extremely talented and savvy individuals? I just don't know!

Check it out in HD, if your computer specs allow you to.

1 comment:

  1. Very impressive! It seems to me to be extremely hard to play such a 'close harmony' piece without skipping a beat somewhere. But what do I know about music? Very advanced video, great lightning and camaramovement. I find it hard to believe this is LOW budget. If talent, knowledge and crew come for free, you still need equipment that costs a fortune don't you? But actually that is not so important. Great post!

    ReplyDelete